Selling a car can be an intimidating and time-consuming process. You must figure out how to price your vehicle, advertise it, negotiate with buyers, and handle the paperwork. It's easy to get overwhelmed by all these steps if you don't know where to start.
With the help of the right platform, however, the sales process can be much easier and quicker. By listing the most popular and top-quality sites, this guide aims to aid you in finding the best website to sell your car privately.
Private Party Car Selling Websites 101
Selling your car as a private party can be a great way to get the most money for your vehicle. However, used car-selling websites also require more research than other methods, like trading a car or selling it to a dealer.
How They Work
Private car-selling websites offer a variety of ways to market your vehicle. Depending on the platform, you may be able to create an auction with a reserve price, list it in classified sections, or post advertisements.
Most platforms require you to register and provide information about yourself before you can start listing vehicles for sale. They also provide the tools and resources needed to sell your car successfully.
Private-party car-selling websites are great for those who want to get the most money for their vehicles. These platforms give you access to buyers who are actively looking for cars. Some additional advantages include the following:
- Variety of listing options. You can create an auction or list the vehicle in the classified section with private car-selling websites.
- Research tools. Used car-selling websites usually provide access to research tools such as pricing guides and vehicle history reports, helping you price your car accurately and ensure it's in good condition.
- Negotiation tools. Private car-selling websites often provide means for negotiating the sale price, such as counter-offers and payment processing services.
- A large pool of buyers. Private-party sales websites are popular and attract a wide variety of potential buyers. High public exposure can mean better deals and faster sales.
The 10 Best Car Selling Websites for Private Sellers
Now that you know the benefits of private car-selling websites, let's look at the top 10 options for selling your car. Each platform offers different features, so you can find the one that best meets your needs.
If you want to sell your car quickly and effortlessly, consider eBay Motors. With a wide range of potential buyers, selling a car through this platform is convenient and easy. This auction-based platform features over 138 million active users, which means more potential buyers for your vehicle.
- Extensive reach. eBay Motors has a large user base and attracts potential buyers from all around the world.
- Convenience. You can list your car from the comfort of your home without worrying about transportation or paperwork.
- Different fee packages. eBay offers a variety of fee packages to choose from, starting at $19, so you can find the one that works best for your budget.
- Auction format. eBay Motors works like most auction sites, which means it can be inadequate for owners looking for a steady and reliable sale price.
- Buyers outside your area. If you're not willing to ship the car or will only accept local buyers, the platform's reach may be a problem.
Selling your car on eBay Motors is straightforward. First, create an account on the platform. Then, list your car for sale, including information about its make, model, year, and condition. After that, decide on a fair price based on the car's condition. Once the listing is live, wait for potential buyers to start bidding. When you have a winning bid, arrange for all payments and shipping (if necessary) with the buyer.
AutoTrader is a popular online marketplace with various tools and resources to help you learn about car values and price your vehicle accurately.
- Research tools. AutoTrader offers various research tools, including Kelley Blue Book value estimates, pricing guides, and more.
- Free vehicle history report. You can use AutoTrader to get a free vehicle history report when selling your car.
- Free 30-day extensions. If your vehicle doesn't sell in 30 days, AutoTrader will offer you a free ad extension for up to 365 days.
- No auction-style sales. AutoTrader only offers a classified listing format, which may limit your potential buyer pool.
- Limited customer support. AutoTrader does not provide extensive customer support or guidance for listing and selling cars.
- Lots of competition. With lots of listings to choose from, you may not get as much visibility for your car.
To list your car on AutoTrader, create an account and provide information about the vehicle, such as make, model, year, condition, and more. Then set a fair price considering the car's condition and any repairs the vehicle may need. Once your listing goes live, you only need to wait for potential buyers to contact you and arrange payment processing and shipping.
Facebook is the world's largest social media platform and a great place to list your car for sale. With nearly 3 billion active users, Facebook allows you to reach many potential buyers.
- Large user base. With Facebook's extensive global user base, you can reach potential buyers from all around the world.
- Free listing. You can list your ad for free on Facebook Marketplace and save money on fees.
- Simple selling process. Listing your car for sale on Facebook Marketplace is simple.
- Limited search options. Due to limited search options, potential buyers may have difficulty locating your listing in the Marketplace.
- No fraud protection. As with other cheap car-selling websites, there is no protection against fraud on Facebook Marketplace.
- No customer support. Facebook does not provide customer support or guidance for listing and selling cars.
To list your car on Facebook Marketplace, create a post with information about the vehicle, such as make, model, year, condition, and more. Set your price, upload some pictures, and then wait for potential buyers to contact you. Once you select a buyer, you'll need to arrange payment and shipping (if necessary).
Bring a Trailer
Bring a Trailer is an online marketplace for classic cars. This website offers a unique auction format and detailed vehicle listings to help you get the most out of your sale.
- Specialized audience. Bring a Trailer caters to classic car enthusiasts, so you can be sure that potential buyers will genuinely be interested in your car.
- Detailed listings. Unlike some other platforms, Bring a Trailer requires detailed descriptions and photos of the vehicle, so potential buyers can get an accurate representation of what you're selling.
- Extensive customer support. Bring a Trailer provides detailed guidance for listing and selling cars and customer support to answer any questions.
- No free listing. Bring a Trailer charges a fee for each listing, so you'll need to factor this in when pricing your car.
- Limited audience. This platform only caters to classic and vintage cars, so if yours isn't a classic, you may not be able to list it on Bring a Trailer.
To list your car on Bring a Trailer, create an account and submit a detailed description of the vehicle, including high-quality pictures and other relevant information. Once approved, your listing will go live, and potential buyers will start bidding. You'll need to arrange payment and shipping when the auction closes.
Cars.com is a platform for private sellers and dealerships to list their cars for sale.
- Wide reach. Cars.com is one of the most popular sites for car shoppers, so you'll have access to a large pool of potential buyers.
- No listing fee. You can post a listing on Cars.com for free.
- Market valuation. Cars.com provides a market valuation tool to help you set the right price for your car.
- Low customer support. The customer support offered by Cars.com is limited to FAQs and email inquiries; you won't have direct access to an agent when listing or selling your car.
- No fraud filters. Cars.com doesn't filter out fraudulent buyers, so you'll need to be extra careful when dealing with potential buyers.
To list your car on Cars.com, start by creating an account and submitting a detailed description of the vehicle, including pictures and other relevant information. Set your price and wait for potential buyers to contact you.
Craigslist is an online classifieds website where you can list items for sale, including cars. It's a great way to reach out to local buyers and take advantage of the site's free listing policy.
- No listing fees. Craigslist does not charge fees for posting car listings.
- Local buyers. Craigslist is great for reaching local buyers, so you won't have to worry about shipping or dealing with potential fraudsters from far away.
- Customizable listings. You can customize your car listing on Craigslist to include any information that may be important for potential buyers.
- Tire kickers. Craigslist attracts a lot of "tire kickers," people who are just browsing and not serious about buying your car.
- No customer support. Craigslist does not offer customer support, so you'll be on your own if you run into issues with the listing or sale.
- No fraud filters. Craigslist does not filter out fraudulent buyers, so take extra caution when dealing with potential buyers.
Like other private car-selling websites, Craigslist requires you to create an account and submit detailed information about your car to list it. Make sure you use a descriptive title and include the right keywords to increase your chances of being seen by potential buyers.
CarGurus features over a million car listings and reviews. For sellers, it's a great platform to find potential buyers both locally and nationwide.
- Wide reach. CarGurus is a popular site for car shoppers and enthusiasts, so you'll have access to a large pool of potential buyers from all over the country.
- Price analysis tool. CarGurus provides a price analysis tool to help you set the right price for your car.
- Inexpensive listing fee. You can list your vehicle for $4.95 for 30 days.
- Insufficient customer support. You won't get help creating your listing or dealing with buyers; you'll only have access to FAQs and email inquiries at CarGurus.
- No fraud filters. CarGurus does not filter out fraudulent buyers.
To list your car on CarGurus, create an account and select the "Sell" option from the menu bar. List your vehicle for $4.95 and submit a detailed listing, including VIN, pictures, and all other relevant information. Once you have an interested buyer, you can negotiate and complete the sale.
Hemmings is an online marketplace for classic and antique cars. It's an excellent platform for sellers looking to find the right buyer for their vintage car.
- Expert advice. Hemmings offers professional advice on selling your classic or antique car, including tips on setting the right price and dealing with buyers.
- Price guide. Hemmings provides a price guide to help you estimate the value of your car and set the right price.
- High listing fee. Hemmings charges a high listing fee of $99 for 30 days.
- Limited reach. Because Hemmings is a specialized site, you may have trouble finding buyers due to the niche market for classic cars.
Once you create an account on Hemmings and pay the fee, you can submit your listing. The platform posts listings within 24 hours, allowing buyers to search through the offer and reach out to sellers when interested.
RAD For Sale
RAD For Sale is an online marketplace for cars from the 80s and 90s. It's a top platform for buyers looking to find classic cars from their youth.
- Specialized marketplace. RAD For Sale is a great place to find classic cars from the 80s and 90s.
- Various listing packages. RAD For Sale offers listing packages starting at $45.
- Good customer support. Unlike Craigslist and CarGurus, RAD For Sale provides a customer support team to help you with your listings and sales.
- Limited reach. Due to its specialized focus, RAD For Sale may have fewer interested buyers for your vehicle compared to other sites.
- Not all listings get accepted. RAD For Sale may reject your listing if it misaligns with general requirements.
To list your car on RAD For Sale, create an account and select "List Your RAD Stuff" from the menu. Submit vehicle details and photos for approval. Once approved, your listing will be live, and you can receive offers from interested buyers.
CarSoup is an online marketplace for new and used cars. You can list your car and connect with potential buyers on an app and website.
- Mobile app. CarSoup's app makes it easy to list your car and connect with buyers.
- Various listing packages. CarSoup offers listing packages starting at $15 for 30 days.
- Less control. CarSoup doesn't give you much control over your listing and pricing, so finding the right buyer for your car may be challenging.
- Little support. CarSoup doesn't provide customer support for sellers, so you'll need to rely on their FAQs and online resources.
If you want to give the website a shot, create an account and submit your vehicle details to CarSoup. Once approved, you can choose from one of the various listing packages and receive offers from potential buyers.
Helping You Safely Carry Out Your Auto Sales, No Matter Where You List
Regardless of which private car-selling websites you choose to list your car on, consider ways to secure your sale from fraudulent buyers. A private-party checkout service can be of help here, allowing you to complete the sale safely and get paid quickly no matter where you post your listing.
Private-party checkout services offer a variety of features to help you protect yourself and your car, such as identity verification, secure payment processing, title transfer assistance, and more. Some also provide a convenient link for sellers to include in their car listings so the buyers can use it to finish the checkout process quickly and securely.
This article was provided by Caramel. Caramel's mission is to change the way people buy and sell cars from one another — making the entire experience safe, simple, and sweet. The first car checkout platform designed for private party buyers and sellers, you can find or list your car anywhere and use Caramel to handle everything else. That includes DMV work, secure payment, identity verification, vehicle reports, financing, delivery, insurance, vehicle protection, and more.